Our Church History - (As documented in the church archives)
East Hamilton Spiritual Church is an independent church, with a growing congregation, whose attendees travel from as far as Niagara Falls, St. Catharines, Paris, Caledonia, Oshawa, Barrie and Hamilton's surrounding areas.
- October 20, 1903 - The founding members of East Hamilton Spiritual Church incorporated the church under its original name First Spiritual Society of Hamilton
- September 24, 1918 - A Charter was granted to change the name from First Spiritual Society of Hamilton to East Hamilton Spiritual Church (EHSC).
- September 25, 1918 - Letters Patent (incorporation) as EHSC is signed by EHSC Board members: Herbert Pickles (EHSC's first President), Benjamin Hunt, Thomas Gretton, Peter Hockley, Richard Crowther, Emma Slack, Harriet Gretton, and Mary Hunt.
- EHSC was located in the city centre. In those early days, distance and travelling time from the Eastern part of the city was not as convenient as they are today, so the church congregants decided to organise and build a church closer to their home environment.
- March 11, 1919 - EHSC purchased two lots of what was then known as the Maple Leaf Park Survey from Mrs. Sarah W. I. Diamond (Lot 12, frontage 32'; part of lot 13, frontage 14', making a total of 46' on the West side of Balmoral Avenue. County of Wentworth, Second Concession of Barton, City of Hamilton. Price $1,242).
- March 15, 1921 - A mortgage from Thomas N. Stables of $2,000 was taken out to add a subdivision of Lot 5 of the Maple Leaf Park Survey.
- In 1921 a new purpose built church was opened on Balmoral Avenue, just off Barton Street, in the eastern end of the city, a few blocks from the present church location.
- August 15, 1927 - An agreement was signed between EHSC and the Church of Spiritualism bringing together the two churches as East Hamilton Spiritual Church.
- May 1, 1973 - EHSC was designated as a charitable organization, whose status remains in good standing. On October 12, 1973 - the Lots for the current Ottawa Street location (lot 371) was purchased (price $32,500) with adjustments made on October 19, 1973 for 5' of the neighbouring lot (lot 370).
- May 2, 1974 - As new land owners, supplement to the Letters Patent of September 25, 1918, was signed which states: “PROVIDE that, upon dissolution of the Corporation and after the payment of all debts and liabilities, its remaining property shall be distributed or disposed of to one or more recognized charitable organizations in Canada".
- June 3, 1974 - EHSC sold the Balmoral Avenue location to the city of Hamilton for purposes of a municipal parking lot. The church was then relocated to its present location at 83 Ottawa Street North.
- May 8, 2016, Mother's Day - EHSC ordained its first Minister, Reverend Kathleen Barnard.
- September 23, 2017 - EHSC ordained its second Minister, Reverend Karen Harkness.
- November 19, 2017 - EHSC appointed it's first Honorary Minister, Reverend Susan Dinsmore, followed by an official church celebration on December 17, 2017.
- November 21, 2017 - EHSC was recognized by the Office of the Registrar General as a religious body for the purpose of solemnizing marriages in Ontario under the provisions of the Marriage Act.
- September 23, 2018 - EHSC held two celebratory Sunday services in honour of 100 years under the name of East Hamilton Spiritual Church (Anniversary date - September 25, 2018).
- July 31, 2019 - Rev. Karen Harkness retired.
- October 10, 2019 - EHSC ordained its third Minister, Reverend Denise Ryan.